The Importance of Cultural Fit between Company & Candidate
Today, hundreds of companies are facing challenges in finding, and more importantly retaining valuable people. Oftentimes, this results from focusing too strongly on just the technical fit between job and candidate. But what is just as important, is the “cultural fit” between an organization and their people. Finding and retaining professionals that do not just meet the technical requirements and job specifics but are a great personality fit for the organization drives organizational success.
The Q Works Group has a unique background in that we have four team members born and raised in Europe. Each has spent their career learning the importance of understanding and embracing cultural differences in the workplace. They have seen first-hand the pitfalls that can occur when companies hire people based on resume material alone, such as having the right degree, experience or technical skills, while overlooking the importance of cultural compatibility.
To ensure a strong cultural fit for prospective new hires, we perform the following steps:
1. Client Cultural Needs Analysis Profile (NAP)
We are able to assess a company’s culture and to create a Needs Analysis Profile (NAP) by asking specifically designed questions. Our NAP is designed to determine important key factors of a search assignment like the positions title, job requirements, but more importantly interpersonal, behavioral attributes that prospective candidates need to possess.
Therefore, we use a Company Culture Questionnaire during the NAP process with our clients.
- What are the most important things you/your company have to attract qualified talent?
- What is the one thing you would like to change? And why?
- Who is a “hero” at this company and why?
- What type of personality do you work well with? What type of personality has not fit in the organization in the past?
- How does the company (team) handle conflict or differing opinions?
- How does this position fit into the plans of the company?
2. Candidate Compatibility Analysis
Adapted from our Company Culture Questionnaire, we developed a Candidate Cultural Questionnaire, which in a similar way assesses a prospective candidate’s personality fit with the company. Here, we clustered our questionnaire into different sections, including value, management and personality questions.
- What is the no. 1 most important thing for you?
- How do you like to be rewarded for your accomplishments?
- Do you like to be creative or do you prefer structure and processes?
- How do you handle conflict?
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with another person even when that individual may not have personal liked you (or vice versa).
Company Culture Slide Series
Recognizing that culture has a direct and significant impact on being able to recruit and retain good employees is the first step to overcoming incompatibility issues between an organization and it’s people. Before being able to devise a strategy to determine if a candidate is a good fit, the company needs to comprehensively define its own culture.
We have compiled insight and tips on defining and implementing company culture. Below you may download the slide series. There is both an English and German version available for your convenience. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance on this subject.
Click images to download slide series: