Job Title: Welder
Education: High School diploma or GED preferred
Experience: One year previous experience preferred
Weld efficiently carbon and stainless steel metals (but could include other alloys) in thickness ranging from .030 and up. The welding process is usually GTAW but can include GMAW, FCAW and SMAW processes as well.
Welder 1 will mainly perform GTAW on carbon materials. Stainless materials and other welding processes will be evaluated after hire.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable welding gun. Main process is operating a tig rig with foot pedal control.
- Use of GTAW weld procedures performed in an efficient manner. (this is a must, 2″ sch 80 6G test will be given with a production timeframe. Maximum of 1 hour to perform weld.)
- Connects cables from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage, slope, and pulse, as specified per weld procedure. CSI has a paperless shop system. Being able to read/understand welding procedures and project specifications is pa1i of the position.
- Starts power supply to produce electric current.Yes
- Strikes (fonns) arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from electrode to workpiece and join edges of workpiece. Yes
- Manually guides electrode or gun along weld line, maintaining length of arc and speed of movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead, based on color of metal, sound of weld, and size of molten puddle. Welder 1 is basically a GTAW welders task.
- Tacks assemblies together. Must be able to understand basic fitting to tack parts/assemblies
- Welds in flat, horizontal, ve1iical, or overhead positions. Yes
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications. Yes, 100% of our products go through a QC non-destructive examination. Welder needs to understand types of welds and fill sizes.
- Applies filler rod manually to supply weld metal. Yes
- Cleans or degreases weld joint or workpiece. Yes, when needed. Needs to be able to evaluate loose and tacked components for quality fits/welds
- Repairs broken or cracked pa1is and fills holes. Yes, will need to perform repairs if needed
- Prepares broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces. For a welder 1 this will be minimal
- Grinds pipe and pipe fittings to create bevel, remove outer protective surfaces and otherwise prepare material to be joined together. For welder 1 this will be minimal unless we use individual to help fitter.
- Chips off excess weld, slag, and spatter. For a GTAW weld this should be minimal, but yes it is necessary for the welder to assess his welds and repair as needed before forwarding to Quality Control for checking.
- Preheats workpiece with hand torch or heating furnace. This will be rare for the Welder 1, but project specifications will dictate job requirements.
- Positions and clamps workpieces together or assemblies them in jig or fixture. This is a must. Pieces will constantly be different configurations. Welder must be able to decipher best method to make the best and fastest weld
- Maintain clean work environment. This is a must. CSI is following a lean principal where Safety, Quality, and Productivity is our priorities of focus, in that order. Part of safety is a clean working environment. It is expected that area is cleaned daily
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perfo1m each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Yes
- Language Skills
- Ability to read a limited number of two- and three-syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to print and speak simple sentences. Yes
- Mathematical Skills
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with I O’s and 1 OO’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance. Yes
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one- or two-step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
- Other Skills and Abilities
- Must pass written and practical application as required. Must pass a 2″ schedule 80 C/S pipe welding test in a 6G position using the (TIG) GTAW process per ASME B31.3. Must be trained on use of overhead crane to move heavy/large pieces of material. Yes, employee must be trained to receive permission to perform specific tasks
- Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, sit, reach with hands and aims and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Ability and knowledge to operate a wide range of hand tools. The employee is occasionally required to walk and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Yes
- Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to hot and cold humid conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- For this hiring process: We will be available for testing on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday. Max of 4 welders each of those 3 days, 2 welders in each session. Sessions will be max 2 candidates 6:30 and max 2 candidates 8:30. Welder will know when they leave facility if we intend to hire based on weld appearance. Confirmation will be by end of day based on Quality Controls Radiographic Examination of the welders coupon.